Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hard Drive Memory #69

There are a lot of Highway 69 route signs
Missing in Kansas,
The one on 335th Street disappears
On a regular basis,
I know Pigpen of the Grateful Dead had one
On the wall of his room where he played fiddle,
I asked my friend Marcia C. why the signs disappeared,
She told me the square root of sixty-nine
Is eight something, a cryptic response I thought,
I have a Route 66 sign that I bought as a souvenir,
Perhaps people like the Route 69 signs because
The second six is upside down, I don’t know,
The year 69 (LXIX) (Gregorian) is when St. Peter died,
The number 69 is odd,
It is also “odious” because it has an odd number
Of ones in its binary representation (Wikipedia),
The Arabic number can be rotated and remain the same,
The Messier Object M69 is a globular cluster,
French for sixty nine is soixante neuf,
There are hidden meanings, colloquialisms, naivete
Built into the myth of sixty nine,
Where the highway signs point in opposite directions,
Where when you reach the age of sixty nine
The Age of Aquarius is over,
Let the sun shine in. (1969).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home