Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm Not The Future, I'm The Past

The dentist told me that I was done
All I had to do now was coast,
Thanks a lot I thought,
I suppose this is all the dental floss I need,
Nobody really owns dental floss he said,
I didn’t even rate a free toothbrush,
So I’m probably a liability
With good teeth,
What about that old amalgam I ask,
Nope, good as gold he tells me,
What if I get in a fight and get one knocked out?
You’re too old for that he says,
His hand on my shoulder guides me
Past the trickling waterfall and out the door,
Nothing about see you later?
No six month checkup scheduled?
I kept looking over my shoulder
While I walked down the hall
To see if he was still there,
All I saw was a flash of light
Coming off one of those little mirrors
He always had in his pocket,
He was using it as a periscope
Watching me get on the elevator
Making sure I was gone,
Later at the shoe store,
The clerk says there you are, old fella,
All fixed up,
Probably the last pair of shoes you’ll ever need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home