Monday, November 27, 2006

A Dream Of Old Mexico

El Conejo (the Rabbit), the bus we were on,
Broke down somewhere south of Monterey,
So we hitched a ride with some Mexican soldiers.
Back in Monterey sitting in a nice restaurant,
You looked splendid in your short waisted,
White peasant pantalones and your midriff baring blouse,
I had the marisco platter,
You ordered the camerón tomato bisque,
When I bumped the leg of the small wooden table,
The soup splashed onto your clothes,
I jumped up taking my cloth napkin in one hand,
And placing my other arm around your waist,
Began to wipe away the red stain in your lap,
“Don’t do that!” you cried and pushed me away,
“People are watching!” and you took two napkins,
Tied them together, making of them a short skirt
That covered the stain as you walked from the cantina.
Embarrassed, I called for the waiter and oafishly paid,
Hurriedly following you out the door.

Later, we continued our trip by train,
Leaving Monterey and heading south through Guadalajara
And on down to Nayarit province.
I had taken the liberty of booking a sleeping berth,
Even though we were not married,
Our work as anthropologists was ultimately taking us
To a place near the village of San Blas
Where there was a recent UFO sighting,
In the sleeping compartment I rolled over and
Accidentally touched you inappropriately,
“Steve, I can’t believe you did that!” you said,
Propping up on one elbow,
“I love you,” was all I could say,
You looked down and then at me,
“I love you, too.”

High on the hill overlooking San Blas,
Standing in the old Spanish fort,
We heard the famous bells of the church,
As we looked out over the low marshy plains
That stretched to the sea,
I reminded you of Andromeda,
“Do you remember now?” I asked,
“I’m beginning to,” you said sorrowfully,
“Then we had better go.”

We approached the area where the UFO had landed,
A confirmed landing this time with the spaceship intact,
I held your hand as we walked past the armed guard unnoticed,
A yellow light flashed from the ship,
The walkway extended as I held up my left hand,
We stepped onto it and it began retracting,
Finally we were going home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home